There’s something about late January that’s just…dogged. The cold is piercing and persistent. The sun still goes down too early. It’s gray. All the excitement of Christmas and New Year’s have worn off. We’re in the middle of the tunnel that is winter. At least by mid-February the opening is in sight, you know?
Let’s create our own sparkle, for ourselves and our kids, with fun, skill-building activities. Nothing too crazy, though, cuz it’s late January. I’m talking old toilet roll tubes and poster paint, paper plates and construction paper. That’s my speed this time of year.
Dollar Tree To The Rescue
We were snowed in this weekend (though not nearly as bad as the internet predicted) and Dollar Tree foam hearts, stickers, and wooden signs me.
I dragged the kids’ table into the dining room and covered it with paint-filled palettes, brushes, paper and a ceramic dog figure. Big A loves the color red so we smeared that everywhere (don’t forget shaving cream will get
it off surfaces). White paint mixed in made a lovely pink that I painted a wooden heart sign with.
Little A watched from his high chair, making eyes at me above Big A’s head. He really wanted to join us. But I knew (and he knew I knew) that he would promptly eat the paint.
The foam sheets we painted will be pretty (and heartfelt, cheap, easy) Valentine cards for loved ones!
Great Minds Think Alike
Here’s a round-up of some stellar ladies with the same idea. These crafts are easy. The materials are probably on hand and the instructions are clear.
Check These Out:
- From Spit Ups and Sit Ups: Cut a sponge into a heart shape so your baby can stamp, stamp, stamp it. Use the remaining pieces to help clean up the mess!
- Messy Little Monster has a much-easier-than-you’d-think Heart Fingerprint Keyring craft.
- Craftulate has another stamping option: an old toilet roll tube (it works)! I also loved her Heart Mobile.
- Puppets. Creative Family Fun understands that and wants you to make this easy one.
- A coffee filter heart craft from Simple Fun For Kids involves food coloring!
- This is the simplest heart craft I’ve ever seen in my life and I love My Mundane And Miraculous Life for that.
- Don’t think it’s a good day to give your toddler a paintbrush? It’s cool, do this Shake Painting activity from No Time For Flash Cards Instead.
- Baby footprint crafts are cute, but hard. Not this one from Completely Christi.
- This Valentine’s Day Paper Plate Heart Wreath from The Resourceful Mama is darling.
And If You Dare…
- This Valentine’s Day slime recipe from The Farm Girl Gabs is SO PRETTY.
I do not dare.
How’s your “yeah it’s definitely winter” going? Let me know in the comments below. Tag me on Instagram if you make any of these crafts! Share this article, don’t let Seasonal Affective Disorder win.
I’ve got some more easy activities here!